The worldwide market for meat is absolutely huge. If manufactured meat only took a small part of this market, it would already be very large too.
However, we believe that over time most if not all meat will be manufactured.
What’s more, because of the advantages (cost and logistics) of manufactured meat, we believe that manufactured meat will be within reach of many more people worldwide than farm meat is today.
More people will eat more meat.
Still, only a few startups are currently (May 2018) actively working on the technology. They include:
- MosaMeat (muscle) – mosameat.eu
- Memphis Meats (muscle) – memphismeats.com
- Super Meat (muscle; seed funding: 3M$) – supermeat.com
- Finless (fish) – finlessfoods.com
- Shojinmeat (liver cells) – shojinmeat.com
- Modern Meadow (leather) – modernmeadow.com
- Aleph Farms (muscle) – aleph-farms.com
Many other companies use advanced techniques to produce a next generation of animal based product. These are not manufactured meat as such, but related:
- Ginkgo bio works (ingredients) – ginkgobioworks.com
- ClaraFoods (egg white, yeast based) – clarafoods.com
- Perfect Day (milk, yeast based) – perfectdayfoods.com
Many startups are now in the process of being founded in the background.
Most of the start-ups are currently funded by strategic participants, like the existing meat industry. A few investment funds specialise in this next generation of meat production. They include:
You may notice that even though the south of the Netherlands is a hotspot for the technological development, there is no investment fund there.
For this reason, we are looking to set up a venture fund in this area. If you would like to help or invest, please contact Robert ten Hoor on email@example.com
Robert can inform you about the current ideas for a new start-up in Eindhoven.